etags - Build a TAG for Multiple R Packages04 May 2016
Here is what tried to build a TAG for multiple R packages. It enable me to jump to a location where the function/variable is defined and modify if I want to.
Useful variable and functions
- default path to find packages, should be a list
- if the folder has DESCRIPTION file, then the folder is a R package.
- (ess-build-tags-for-directory DIR TAGFILE)
- build tag on DIR to TARGET.
- List of file names of tags tables to search.
- (visit-tags-table FILE &optional LOCAL)
- Tell tags commands to use tags table file.
Note the workhorse is
ess-build-tags-for-directory which does what
it means. The core of this function use
find program will find files with extension .cpp, R, nw etc, and
then feed to (using pipe) to the
etags program which generate a TAG
table. These two steps are demonstrated in the following snippet,
which is grabbed from the source code of
Note when they are used in Emacs, the tags-table-list variable is
appended with the path to the new TAG table. So that the user can use
M-.) to jump (if the point is under a word) or
select which function/variable to jump to. The users then check the
function/variable definition, or modify it if it is necessary. Then
M-,) to jump back.